Thursday, April 12, 2012

Expert Books

We just finished up our unit on Expert books (also known as All About or Informational books) and I thought you might love to SEE what they look like!  I was so excited at how engaged the children were....ALL of them....with this writing unit...if you would like a copy of the unit/mini lessons please leave me your email in the comments section and I will send it your way!


The following pages are from the two books pictured above...the students chose a topic they knew a lot about and then wrote several different types of chapters using different formats of writing.  They had to have a persuasive, narrative, and "how-to" in their book.




















 I have one student (who normally isn't as excited about writing) that wrote 12 chapters and then asked if he could take home more paper and work on other chapters over our spring break...that is so AWESOME!  Below are my anchor charts if you didn't see them before and again, please let me know if you want a more detailed copy of the unit/mini lessons!  

 After break we are going to work on our editing skills as we think about using writing strategies/conventions in our state test prep packets...I am going to throw in some poetry reading and writing to mix it up a bit!!




13 comments:

  1. I would LOVE a copy of this mini unit... obriens@needvilleisd.com Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  2. These are unbelievably impressive! Way to go! I would love a copy of this mini unit (which you are such a doll to give away!)

    ~ Katie
    First Grade ABCs

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! The kids love doing this project and today we celebrated them.....so much fun!

      Delete
  3. I do something similar. We do expert posters. I would love to see more. Rachel
    Rachel.lamb81@gmail.com

    ReplyDelete
  4. These expert books are awesome. I would love a copy of this mini unit! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Kimmie,
      Can you reply with your email so I can send you the unit?
      Thanks,
      Heather

      Delete
  5. Heather- you look like super mom, super wife and super teacher. Thank you so much for offering your expert unit. I would love a copy please. Thank you so much for sharing. I am now follower #51.
    My email is nbozek10@gmail.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Awwwww thanks! You got it....I will send it your way tomorrow!

      Delete
  6. Hi Heather! I just found your blog and love it!! I would love a copy of your unit if you still have it available. Thanks for all the inspiration!! rachelatalldrinkofwater@gmail.com

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hello... Just got hooked into reading blogs. This is going to be a very productive summer. After reading all these blogs my brain is on overload. I too would love a copy of this unit if you still have it. My email is elizgomez1247@gmail.com

    ReplyDelete
  8. Hi Heather! My name is Val and my friend sent me this activity via your blog. I would LOVE to get a copy of the unit. This would be great to incorporate at the end of the year for my third graders. It connects to the research writing standard and ties in all 3 writing genres. Wonderful! Thank-you for sharing.
    My email is Tdta4life5@aol.com

    ReplyDelete